Please note that this programme is only for WPSA members over 40 years of age from developing countries.
The WPSA Board fully supports the awarding of Travel Grants (both for young WPSA members/students and older members) as well as the assistance for branches utilizing the WPSA Speaker’s Bureau programme. Each of these programmes was developed with the intent to provide financial assistance to support members and branches demonstrating legitimate needs in these areas. All submitted applications are sent to the General Secretary of the WPSA for initial review and consideration. Those meeting ALL necessary application requirements are then forwarded to the WPSA Executive Committee for the next step in the application approval process. To ensure your application receives timely consideration, it is imperative that ALL application conditions stated on the WPSA web site are fully adhered to. Travel grant applications must be submitted at least 3 months prior to the date of the meeting to be attended. As stated in the application conditions, incomplete or late submissions will not be considered for funding. One common oversight with Travel Grant applications is incomplete budget request and justification information in accordance with the stated conditions. Another frequent error is the failure to adhere to page length requirements for supporting documentation. If the conditions state the requirement for a 2-3 page length Curriculum Vitae, submitting more than 3 pages becomes cumbersome to the approval process and this failure to adhere to the conditions can be considered as justification for application rejection. One final reminder is that all budgets and invoices must have costs converted to US dollars, and the total amounts must be presented.
In summary, the WPSA Board encourages all members and branches to utilize these programmes but asks that all members familiarize themselves with the application conditions. Submitting applications in compliance with these conditions will streamline the approval process and reduce the amount of extra work required for all parties involved.
Incomplete or late submissions will NOT be considered.
For many years, the WPSA Board has supported a travel grant programme for members 40 years of age and younger, to enable them to attend international WPSA-sponsored meetings in other countries. Application for these grants is open to WPSA members from both developing and developed countries. It is recognised that older scientists from developing countries, even those in relatively senior positions, frequently have considerable difficulty in finding funds to attend international meetings. It is even more difficult for scientists in this age group who have only recently obtained a higher degree. Because of the lack of available training opportunities, many scientists in developing countries are near to 40 by the time they obtain a higher degree and be in a position to present their work at international meetings. The value of interaction with other scientists with similar interests and expertise, is well recognised.
It is for these reasons that WPSA has instituted a new travel grant programme to assist older (>40 years) WPSA members from developing countries to attend and present a paper (oral or poster) at international meetings. The programme is designed to provide some financial assistance, NOT to cover the entire costs of the travel to and attendance at the meeting in question. As a not-for-profit organisation, WPSA has limited funds to allocate towards the programme, which means that the number of grants and the size of the individual grants, will not be great. Successful applicants are encouraged to use the grant as leverage in application for additional funding from the applicant's institution or other bodies.
The programme is competitive and applicants are required to provide information about their research, and current status and about their planned contribution to the meeting in question, as described below and on the application form. Successful applicants will be expected to provide on their return, a brief report on the meeting and on the benefits derived by their attendance.
All applications will be assessed by a travel grants assessment committee set up under the WPSA Board. The committee will make its recommendations to the Secretary, who will advise the applicants in due course.
- Applications must be submitted to the General Secretary, WPSA at least 3 months prior to the meeting the applicant wishes to attend.
- Applicants must have submitted an abstract or full scientific paper to the meeting in question. The paper need not have been accepted for oral or poster presentation at the time of application to WPSA, but it will eventually require to be accepted before funds are disbursed.
- A copy of the abstract must be submitted to WPSA with this application for funding.
- A copy of the full application (including the abstract) must also be sent to the applicant's local WPSA branch.
- Minimum age of the applicant is 41 years at the time of application.
- Applicants must have been a member of a developing country WPSA branch for at least 2 years at the time of application.
- No member may receive more than one "older scientist" Travel Grant. A member may be considered for one of these grants if they have received no more than one of the "young WPSA member" travel grants.
- Successful applicants will receive the funds electronically AFTER the meeting on receipt of a copy of the airline ticket AND a one-page report on the meeting and the benefits derived by the applicant from attendance.
- Successful applicants MUST have a bank account in a country to which the United States and/or The Netherlands can legally wire money.
- Incomplete or late submissions will NOT be considered.
The application form must be accompanied by:
- A copy of the abstract submitted. A copy of the letter of acceptance (if you have not yet received such a letter, you can send it later).
- Budget request and justification form. Include cost of economy rate travel, food and lodging. Include an official PDF or equivalent document from a travel agent or airline/hotel showing the actual costs of travel and accommodation. Please note that conference registration fee and costs for the gala dinner will NOT be funded.
- Short Curriculum Vitae and photo (2-3 pages maximum)
The completed application should be sent by e-mail to .
If you do not have access to e-mail or fax you can send your application to:
Dr R.W.A.W. Mulder
General Secretary WPSA
PO Box 31
7360 AA Beekbergen