Fostering local and regional conferences in the poultry sciences
The WPSA Board fully supports the awarding of Travel Grants (both for young WPSA members/students and older members) as well as the assistance for branches utilizing the WPSA Speaker’s Bureau programme. Each of these programmes was developed with the intent to provide financial assistance to support members and branches demonstrating legitimate needs in these areas. All submitted applications are sent to the General Secretary of the WPSA for initial review and consideration. Those meeting ALL necessary application requirements are then forwarded to the WPSA Executive Committee for the next step in the application approval process. To ensure your application receives timely consideration, it is imperative that ALL application conditions stated on the WPSA web site are fully adhered to. Travel grant applications must be submitted at least 3 months prior to the date of the meeting to be attended. As stated in the application conditions, incomplete or late submissions will not be considered for funding. One common oversight with Travel Grant applications is incomplete budget request and justification information in accordance with the stated conditions. Another frequent error is the failure to adhere to page length requirements for supporting documentation. If the conditions state the requirement for a 2-3 page length Curriculum Vitae, submitting more than 3 pages becomes cumbersome to the approval process and this failure to adhere to the conditions can be considered as justification for application rejection. One final reminder is that all budgets and invoices must have costs converted to US dollars, and the total amounts must be presented.
In summary, the WPSA Board encourages all members and branches to utilize these programmes but asks that all members familiarize themselves with the application conditions. Submitting applications in compliance with these conditions will streamline the approval process and reduce the amount of extra work required for all parties involved.
Incomplete or late submissions will NOT be considered.
During the 34th meeting of the Board of WPSA on August 20, 2000 in Montreal, Canada it was recognised that expertise in several areas of poultry science and production in low income countries is often very limited, and WPSA branches in these countries often do not have sufficient financial resources to fund overseas speakers.
To address this problem, the Board created a Speakers' Bureau to assist branches in low income countries to cover the travel costs of expert international speakers. This measure is consistent with the key objective of WPSA to encourage and facilitate liaison among research scientists and educators, between those in research and education and those working in the many diverse sectors of the poultry industry. Under the Speakers' Bureau scheme, WPSA will pay only the cost of air travel (lowest economy class). All other expenses such as local travel and accommodation are to be paid by the organizing Branch(es). WPSA will not pay any honorarium to speakers.
In 2011 the Speakers' Bureau has been extended to include speakers for Working Group meetings in both the European and Asian Pacific Federation.
A Branch (or group of Branches) may either identify a speaker to invite or seek the advice of WPSA in the selection of an appropriate speaker.
Given the high cost of international air travel it is important that optimum value be obtained from this expenditure by WPSA. This can be achieved by insisting that the visiting speaker provides more than just one paper at a conference. The visiting speaker could contribute in a variety of ways, e.g., present a second paper on a related topic, conduct a workshop for graduate students, have small group or one-on-one interaction, especially with students, visit industry groups, visit university groups, etc.
Where a Branch or a group of Branches wish to apply for Speakers' Bureau assistance, there are certain conditions which must be met:
- Application must be made using the WPSA Speakers' Bureau application form.
- Where the Branch (or group of Branches) has identified a speaker that they would like to invite, the Curriculum Vitae of that speaker must be submitted on the WPSA Speakers Bureau Speakers CV Form.
- Application must be submitted at least 2 months prior to the meeting.
- The speaker must contribute more to the meeting and/or branch than just presenting one paper.
- The speaker must be given an assignment dealing with the students at the Conference.
- Unless the Branch (or group of Branches) can pay all the speakers' costs itself, a speaker should NOT be invited until approval of Speakers' Bureau funds is made by the WPSA Executive Committee. The Branch(es) should not assume that approval will be given until so advised by the WPSA Secretary.
- Following approval, the speaker or the local Branch will be reimbursed by the WPSA Treasurer after the meeting.
- A maximum of 2 speakers will be sponsored from the Speakers' Bureau per meeting.
- The Branch(es) must be up-to-date with their membership payment.
- Incomplete or late submissions will NOT be considered
Where to send the application
The completed application form(s) should be send by e-mail to wpsa [AT] xs4all [DOT] nl or by fax to: +31 207 508 941.
For those branches that do not have access to e-mail or fax, applications can be mailed to:
The General Secretary WPSA
PO Box 31
7360 AA Beekbergen