Dr Cliff D. Carpenter was born in Unadilla, New York, on July 18, 1897. He grew up on a farm in the Empire State.
After receiving his DVM degree at Cornell University in 1920, Dr Carpenter served on the research staff of the University of California for three years, in charge of the University's Avian Pathology Laboratory at Petaluma. In 1923, he established the first private poultry veterinary practice in the United States.
In 1929, Dr Carpenter opened a branch laboratory and practice at Van Nuys, California. In 1935, he sold his business to the Lederle laboratories, a Division of American Cyanamid, at which time he became Director of Cyanamid's first poultry division. He resigned in 1938, to do graduate work in poultry pathology and genetics at the University of kentucky, where he received his MSc degree in Agriculture.
In 1939, Dr Carpenter joined Allied Mills to take charge of Allied's field service programme and public relations. From March of 1943 to August of 1944, he was on loan from Allied Mills to the War Food Administration where he directed national programmes to establish wartime poultry expansion projects (in cooperation with the US Secretary of Agriculture).
From 1944 to 1958, Dr Carpenter was President of the Institute of American Poultry Industries, a trade association with heavy emphasis on poultry and egg processing and marketing. During that time he was co-chairman of the US Public Health Service's committee, formed to develop a uniform sanitation code for poultry plants. He later spearheaded the programme which led to the present USDA poultry inspection programme for wholesomeness.
In 1955, Dr Carpenter initiated the International Trade Development (ITD) programme for the US poultry industry. This programme opened trade for US poultry meat products into approximately 24 countries.
Dr Carpenter also served as Chairman of President Eisenhower's bi-partisan committee on increasing the use of agricultural products. This committee placed particular emphasis on international trade.
Following his resignation from the Institute in 1958, Dr Carpenter established the consulting firm of Cliff D. Carpenter & Associates. The Associates consulted on poultry production, processing, and marketing.
Dr Carpenter was Vice-Chairman of the US Participation Committee for the XIIth World's Poultry Congress (Australia).
In the early 1960s, Dr Carpenter served with a group of individuals who founded and incorporated the USA Branch of the World's Poultry Science Association. He served as the first Branch President. It was in that capacity in August 1965, that he was speaking to the Board of Directors of the Poultry Science Association at the association's annual meeting in Athens, Georgia - promoting the XIIIth World's Poultry Congress - when he died of a massive heart attack.
The late Dr Cliff D. Carpenter truly was a pioneer in promoting eggs and poultry and the poultry industry in all its aspects on an international basis. He went far beyond the call of duty in rendering his services. He was a genuine ambassador of good will for the world's poultry industry and the World's Poultry Science Association.
Nominated by United States of America